The Maryland Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) Office of Minority Business Enterprise (OMBE) is the State’s Official Certification Agency.
The Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Program is a race and gender neutral program. Firms with SBE certification may meet business participation goals on federally-funded contracts issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) which include contracts administered by the Maryland Aviation Administration (MAA), the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA), and the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA).
There is no cost to apply for certification as a SBE. Applicants must submit a complete application with all required supporting documentation. Submitting an incomplete application package will delay the overall certification process. Please follow the Documentation Checklist and submit additional documents appropriate for your business structure. Please contact OMBE with questions.
Download SBE Application Form
SBE Program Eligibility:
- A firm must be a small business as defined by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) by applying current SBA business size standards found in 13 CFR Part 121 that are applicable to the type of work the firm seeks to perform in USDOT-assisted contracts.
- The firm’s average annual gross receipts as defined by SBA regulations (averaged over the previous three fiscal years or part of the year which the business has been in existence), can not exceed the amount set forth in 49 CFR 26.65.
- The firm’s average gross receipts cannot exceed the overall USDOT size standard for a small business ($22.41 million averaged over the three previous fiscal years or part of year which the business has been in existence).
- At least 51% of the firm’s ownership must be held by individuals who meet the personal net worth (PNW) cap of $1.32 million as prescribed by 49 CFR 26.67.
- A firm must be organized for profit in order to be eligible for SBE certification.
- The 51% owner must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
A firm that is currently MDOT DBE certified will automatically be certified as SBE. All other firms that meet the eligibility requirements must apply to MDOT’s Office of Minority Business Enterprise (OMBE) for SBE status. All SBE certified firms will appear in the online MDOT SBE Directory.
Each certified SBE firm must annually submit an affidavit to the OMBE affirming its continued eligibility to participate in the SBE program.
A firm seeking SBE certification and/or annual renewal must cooperate fully with OMBE’s requests for information relevant to the certification and annual renewal process. Failure or refusal to provide such information may result in the denial or removal of certification.
The firm is responsible for listing the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code(s) that is/are the primary activities of the business. The maximum number of NAICS Codes is four (4). See the following link for NAICS Codes:
OMBE will conduct a preliminary review of an application packet to determine if it is complete prior to submission. The preliminary review is conducted at MDOT Headquarters (address above) on Tuesdays between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 11:30a.m. and 1:00p.m. – 3:30p.m. An appointment is required. Please contact OMBE @ 410.865.1269 for an appointment. Photo ID must be presented at the Security Desk. No appointments will be scheduled for the 1st Tuesday of the month. The 1st Tuesday of each month is the Application Assistance Workshop.