MBE/DBE/ACDBE CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
MDOT’s Office of Minority Business Enterprise (OMBE) is the State’s Official Certification Agency.
Firms may hold certification as both a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE). Firms holding both MBE and DBE certification are eligible to meet minority business participation goals on state-funded contracts issued by the State of Maryland, contracts funded by counties and cities within Maryland that accept MDOT’s certification for their minority participation programs, and federally-funded contracts issued by the U. S. Department of Transportation. Applicants who submit the Uniform Certification Application are evaluated for eligibility in both the MBE and DBE programs simultaneously. The eligibility standards for both programs are very similar. Therefore, OMBE strongly recommends applicants submit the Uniform Certification Application.
Additionally, applicants can elect to be evaluated for the Airport Concessions Disadvataged Business Enterprise (ACDBE) Certification. ACDBE-certified firms can fulfill the disadvantaged business participation goals on concessionaire contracts administered through the Maryland Aviation Administration. ACDBE goals range from 7% - 37% and are adjusted every three years.
There is no cost to apply for certification as an MBE/DBE/ACDBE. It takes several months to complete the entire process once a complete application package has been received. Submitting an incomplete application package will delay the overall certification process. Please follow the Documentation Checklist appropriate to your business structure and don’t hesitate to contact OMBE with questions at any time.
OMBE conducts a free workshop every month to help applicants confidently prepare the application and navigate the certification process. Follow the link below for more information and to register.
MBE/DBE/ACDBE/SBE Application Assistance Workshop
To submit an application for MBE and DBE certification:
- Open the Uniform Certification Application. Print or save to your desktop.
- Read the instructions for completing the application.
- Open the required Personal Net Worth Form (PNW). This is the official form to be used for MBE and DBE Certification. Print and save to your desktop.
- For guidance on completion of the PNW, review the PNW Overview and the PNW Instructions.
- Review the appropriate Document Checklist. These are the official checklists to be used for MBE and DBE Certification.
- Complete all sections of the application.
- Do not leave blanks on the application. Note “NA” in areas that are not applicable.
- For areas marked as “NA,” include a brief statement about why that information is not applicable.
- Sign and notarize the Affidavit of Certification (double sided page) for each minority owner.
- Compile the application and all supporting documents in a folder or binder with tabs correlated to the checklist.
- Firms less than one year old are encouraged but not required to submit a written Business Plan.
- If for any reason you are not providing all required documentation, include a brief written statement under the correlating tab as to why the documents are not provided.
- Retain a copy of the entire application package for your files.
Send the completed application and all supporting documentation to:
Maryland Department of Transportation
Office of Minority Business Enterprise
7201 Corporate Center Drive
Hanover, MD 21076
OMBE will conduct a preliminary review of an application packet to determine if it is complete prior to submission. The preliminary review is conducted at MDOT Headquarters (address above) on Tuesdays between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 11:30a.m. and 1:00p.m. – 3:30p.m. An appointment is required. Please contact OMBE @ 410.865.1269 for an appointment. Photo ID must be presented at the Security Desk. No appointments will be scheduled for the 1st Tuesday of the month. The 1st Tuesday of each month is the Application Assistance Workshop.